TripLog’s Approval Management web component provides employees the ability to submit trips for reimbursement and supervisors the ability to review/approve/deny those trips. From there, the accounting administrator can schedule for pay. Email notifications, workflow status, notes and out-of-the-office features are intuitive and simple to use. To turn on the component for the organization, the administrator should go to the web account > More > Settings and select Approval Management > Save Settings.
The features and business rules include:
- Drivers will see the “Submit” and “Unsubmit” buttons. Administrators/Managers will see “Approve” and “Reject” buttons. Accountants will also see “Schedule Pay” button, in addition to all the other buttons. Go to web > More > User Settings to define roles.
- From the web Trips menu, users can select any trips and attempt to submit, approve, reject, or schedule pay. The system will check the conditions and determine whether the operation can proceed or will be ignored with a notice given to the user.
- Status Check. Only the status flows from one box to another depicted on the Approval Workflow chart are allowed.
- Ownership Check. Only the user who has the ownership or is a supervisor of the owner can operate on a particular data entry.
- Once a trip is submitted, the driver cannot edit it. Unless it is rejected, then the user can edit it and re-submit.
- An email will be sent to the supervisor or the trip owner, and cc’ed to the requestor, stating the approval status has been changed.
- When the immediate supervisor is out-of-office, which can be set up on the web Profile page, the next supervisor up the chain will receive the email.
- Only administrators can be assigned as someone’s supervisor. An admin can be his/her own supervisor.
- If a supervisor is not assigned, a driver can still submit trips, thus changing the approval status, but no emails will be sent.
- Through the TripLog web API, the back-office can also change approval status from “Approved” to “Pay Scheduled”.