Auto start with iBeacon™ device for iOS
TripLog integrates seamlessly with Apple’s iBeacon technology to automatically detect when your trips start and end. iBeacon is built into iOS and uses Bluetooth low-energy (BLE) to detect when your phone is near a beacon. The advantages of using iBeacon with TripLog are:
- TripLog can detect when you are in your car and it is running very reliably.
- If you have multiple vehicle, having separate iBeacons in each vehicle will immediately notify TripLog which vehicle you are driving
- iBeacon is designed by Apple to be energy efficient and minimize battery usage.
- TripLog will continue to detect when trips start or stop even after the app is force quit or the phone reboots.
To use iBeacon with TripLog, you’ll need a TripLog Beacon. You simply plug the TripLog Beacon into your car’s USB charger and forget about it!
Here is how to use TripLog Beacon with TripLog:
- Plug the TripLog Beacon into a car USB charger and turn on the car
- Open TripLog app > menu > Auto Start on > Auto Start Option > Detect iBeacon Device.
- Open Select iBeacon Device > the app will find the device > select the device and choose the vehicle to associate to the iBeacon device.
- Next time when you start the car, within a few seconds, there should be a message on the notification bar that says “iBeacon connected. Wait for speed > 5 mph.”
- Start driving. Once you reach 5 mph (the speed threshold is configurable) for a second or two, you will hear an alert and another message will appear on the notification bar “Trip auto started. Park and disconnect to end it.”
- When you reach the destination, stop and turn off the vehicle. The trip will be stopped within 30 seconds.
- Need a Beacon? You can get one here:
iBeacon Auto Start Troubleshooting – iOS
There are a few things to check if TripLog doesn’t detect your iBeacon.
- Open iOS System Settings > Bluetooth and make sure Bluetooth is on.
- Open iOS System Settings > Privacy > Location Services > make sure it’s on, then select TripLog > make sure it is set to ‘Always’.
- Make sure it isn’t a problem with your car USB charger by testing with the iBeacon plugged into a computer or wall charger.
- The iBeacon works the best when the USB port is powered on only when the engine is running. If the USB port is always on, the auto start may not work properly.
- If you’ve rebooted your phone, it could take up to 15 minutes before TripLog starts detecting the iBeacon reliably. If it still isn’t working after 15 minutes, open the TripLog app once, then press the Home button and it will stay in the background.